Producer Juarez Pereira Neto, 59, is married to Neide Maria de Santana Pereira. They have two sons, Talles Santana Pereira and Sávio Santana Pereira. Juarez has worked with coffee for over 51 years. He began at 8, helping his father. In 2017, they acquired the land that would come to be called Sítio Cabeceira do Cachoeirão. As such, Juarez is the first generation to run the farm. Sítio Cabeceira do Cachoeira has a total of 9 hectares, at an average elevation of 875 meters, with 16 thousand coffee trees planted on 7 hectares. The other 2 hectares are set aside for environmental conservation with trees planted around springs and also for the construction of the farm’s headquarters. About 90% of the coffee planted on the farm is Red Catucaí 785/15. The remaining 10% is Red Catuaí IAC 144. Both crops are the same age, about 5 years. Juarez began producing specialty coffee in 2021, and this is the second consecutive year in the segment. In 2021, the farm was champion in the Emater specialty coffee competition and second in the Matas de Minas regional competition. All work on the farm is done by the family. Specilaty coffee processing is done by hand.

Women are involved in the harvest and in specialty coffee production. They separate ripe cherries from unripe ones, help with drying the coffees and in screening the coffee after processing.

Sons Talles, 32, and Sávio, 23, both help with administration of the farm and in the fields.

Coffee processing system
The coffee was picked by hand. Both ripe and green coffee cherries were picked. After picking, the coffee passed through the water where impurities such as dirt, stones, sticks, shriveled and empty cherries, resulting in only ripe and green cherries. Then the coffee was sorted, the ripe beans were separated from the green ones. Only the ripe cherries were used. They were spread to dry on a cloth placed over a cement patio so they did not have any contact with impurities or humidity. Raking of the coffee was done manually without any contact between people and the coffee. That is, they did not walk on top of coffee on the ground; they used a long handle and stood at the edge of the cloth, but not on it, so that the coffee did not have contact with any bacteria. The coffee dried for about 20 to 30 days under the sun until reaching 11% humidity. Each evening during the drying period, the coffee was covered by another cloth to avoid contact with humidity during the night. Then the coffee was bagged and rested for 30 days, after which a sample was sent to the Cup of Excellence competition. After being informed that the lot qualified for the national phase, the coffee was processed and screened for 16 up. Then the coffee lot was manually sorted again, all imperfect beans were removed, only large, uniform beans remained. This coffee was sent to the certified warehouse and is currently stored in high-barrier bags.

Farm Information
  • Farm Name
    Sítio Cabeceira do Cachoeirão
  • Farmer
    Juarez Pereira Neto
  • Score
  • Rank
  • Awards
    Presidential Award
Lot Information
  • Year
  • Processing System
    Via Seca (Natural)
  • Variety
    Red Catucaí 785/15